Saturday, January 14, 2012

A New Found Appreciation

For the last month or so I've wiped countless snotty noses, changed a lot of diapers, dealt with teething, toddler tantrums, and, "I'm hungry, I'm tired, I'm crabby, that's mine, hold me, let me go..."  All that to say that I've come to a "deeper" understanding of what all the moms of the world run through on a daily basis.  I've also been there to take Kaitlyn to the park, on walks, share in special moments and achievements, and watch her learn and grow every day.  My hat's off to you...every one of you who have, who are, or will raise children--they're a handful!

We took Kaitlyn to the park again today and her agility and coordination baffle me every time we go.  Sometimes I wonder how she can climb a wall with no problems, but she runs into them when she's walking around the house.  Unfortunately, for her usually terrified parents, she's fearless when it comes to obstacles and heights.  She always goes for the biggest, tallest slide she can find, and she goes down feet first, head first, you name it.  10 foot fireman's poles, ladders, nothing is off limits in her brain.  Today she tried going head first, on her back down the slide.  She had already gone down head first and flew off the end once, so I casually strolled over to the bottom of the slide and asked Kaitlyn as she was setting up for her next stunt, "Hey sweetie, you think that's a real good idea to go down like that?!"  Her reply, "YEAH!!"
Climbing all on her own...with daddy as spotter of course

Well, I figured some things are better learned the hard way and let her do it anyway (to the horror of all grandmas worldwide, I'm sure).  Needless to say, it didn't turn out too well, she flew off the end of the slide and ate a bunch of sand.  But she didn't cry, she just laid there for a minute, collecting her thoughts, and then she looked at me and said, "I not do dat again."  "Good idea, sweetheart."  She picked herself up, climbed the stairs, and went feet first.


Showing some discretion

All by herself



Taking a break on the swing



No comments: