Saturday, April 23, 2011

Weekends

One of my hidden passions is teaching/mentoring.  It's one of those things, as you go through life, you stumble upon something and realize, hey, I really enjoy doing this.  Maintenance, in general, is another thing.  Growing up, I always knew I was going to fly airplanes.  I knew that, there was never any question in my mind.  But if you would have told me I'd also enjoy working on airplanes, teaching, and living in Africa, I would have stared at you in disbelief.

Thankfully, Kaitlyn is at an age where she is learning several new words a day, and is extremely quick at picking things up.  She sees it done once, and then insists on doing it herself.  Like eating with utensils and putting DVDs in the computer.  She knows exactly where the button is, exactly how to put the disk in, and how to close it again.  She brushes her own teeth, tells the dog "No!" and tries to lock the house with the keys.  She knows how to honk the horn and turn the steering wheel in the direction she wants to go (not that I've ever let her drive :)

Concentrate on the line
All done, way to go!
So, I figured today I'd teach her how to measure and cut wood, because I really need some help out in the "garage" to get some of these screens up.  First things first though, safety is paramount.  I show her how to wear her ear protection and eye protection, and how to hold the saw so that if it kicks back, it won't injury her.  She did an excellent job, cutting right on the line, and wasn't scared at all.  Next weekend it will be on to sanding, prepping, and staining.

What are some of your hidden passions?

No comments: