Monday, January 21, 2008

Moving Forward

Well, our official application to MAF is on its way. We finished it up last Friday and put it in the capable hands of the US post office Monday. I'm trying to fly at least 4 hours each week, so I can get 400 flight hours by the third week in April. Our next step in joining MAF is to complete a two week "technical evaluation" at their headquarters in Nampa, Idaho. One week will be spent flying with MAF instructor pilots as they evaluate the skills I do have, and determine my suitability with their organization. The other week will be spent in their shop, accomplishing various maintenance tasks and working on airplanes, so they can evaluate my mechanical skills. Thrown in between are several interviews and pyschological evaluations and tests that both Joy and I must complete satisfactorily. If all is well and they like what they see, and we like what we see, then they will extend a formal invitation to join their organization.

On a lighter note, I've been able to work on a lot of flying skills lately, and brush up on some rusty areas. The weather isn't always great, but that is just the beginning of a life long battle. One thing I have learned since I started flying over here is that if the birds aren't flying around, it's probably not a good idea for me to go either!
Lately, I've had the opportunity to take a lot of passengers with me as I hone my piloting skills. Having passengers adds many dynamics to flying and really makes me work hard on being a professional, especially when your passengers are the pastor's kids!

No comments: