Saturday, January 21, 2012

Foggy Morning

It's 11:30pm, I've been asleep for a grand total of 90 minutes, but I can't ignore the cries.  He's up, and he doesn't really go to sleep again until 5:30am.  I hit the light on the clock and think, "Ok, another 90 minutes of sleep before Kaitlyn gets up...."  But it only seems like minutes until I hear little feet running down the hall.  I lift my head and a pounding hammer somewhere in there rhythmically reminds me this is the second all-nighter I've pulled.

I try to keep a normal routine for Kaitlyn, so I sit her down on the couch, wrap her up like a taco, and turn on Thomas and Friends while I stand under burning water.  Honestly, I can't remember if I washed or not.


Rain falls in a heavy mist, visibility is 1/4 mile at best, then I open the blinds and to my surprise, the weather is much the same outside too.  Eventually a gnawing hunger in my stomach brings me downstairs for some oatmeal and a pot of coffee...yes, a pot.  I stare helplessly into my cup, oblivious to the world around me, and as I begin to regain consciousness, I realize there's something staring back at me.  For some reason, a nerve fires in my brain and I think, "Hey, that would make a cool photo...if only I could remember where the SD card is."

Thankfully, this stage only lasts for a month or so.  I confess this is not my strong suit.  Joy copes much better than I do, after all, she's been up for 4 days straight now.  I marvel at her commitment and ability to maintain a positive attitude...and some sense of coherency.  Until this wears off, I suppose I'll continue finding strange things inside my morning cup of coffee.

No comments: